What are PVC Windows?
UPVC or Un-Plasticised Polyvinyl Chloride windows are significantly stronger and longer lasting than any other frame materials. They are also weather resistant meaning they won’t decompose over time and you can guarantee uPVC will not change shape under normal weather conditions.
Another aspect of uPVC being the more inferior frame material is that it is the most energy efficient and it can also be used on doors as well as conservatories.
Cleaning & Caring for PVC Windows
On a regular basis, you should check whether your windows have any air leaks, cracks or problems with the hinges and locks. This is highly significant as you need to ensure your own safety.
A couple of times a year, make sure you apply some WD-40 as it helps keep the locks and hinges moving efficiently. This also stops them from stiffening.
How to clean the frames
This process should be repeated at least twice a year, to make sure your windows are in the best condition possible. Follow this step by step process:
- Take a clean cloth and remove any dust or dirt from the outside of the windows. A feather duster would be ideal to clean the inside.
- Clean the inside of the frames by easing windows open and using a brush to get the debris out
- Using the hose of a vacuum to get any remaining dust and dirt away
- Using warm water and washing up liquid in a bowl and using a soft cloth, wipe down the window frames – inside and out
- Make sure to use a white cloth every time to prevent staining.
- It is optional to use a solvent cleaner from a hardware store if stains aren’t coming off but avoid anything harsh
How to clean the window glass
This process should be repeated every month, possibly more throughout the winter months. Make sure to wait for a cloudy day as the sun can cause streaky windows. Follow this step by step process:
- Take a damp cloth and wipe everything down
- Using warm soapy water, wipe down the windows and use kitchen towels to dry them and avoid streaks
- An option is to use traditional glass cleaner however most people don’t find these to be effective
If you have stiff window locks, lubricate them with some WD-40 so they are loose enough to open and ensure that proper cleaning takes place and is maintained.
At Sureseal, we ensure that you choose windows that suit your needs as well as your homes needs. If you need any guidance or assistance in anything from picking out your windows to the aftercare or any emergencies, please contact us and we would be more than happy to give our expert advice.