Have you got a loft conversion or are you thinking about getting one? This blog will ensure you won’t be spending more on your heating bills, helping you keep warm and cosy this winter.
Facts & Figures
- 25% of heat produced by your boiler will escape through your roof
- 35% escapes through you wall and gaps around your windows and doors.
- 60% of your properties total heat will escape, leaving you with only 40% heat in your house.
As gas and heating bills have risen dramatically over the past couple of years, it is essential we do as much as possible to keep our bills down.
Windows, doors and roof lights are where most energy is expected to be lost. This is because of the breaks between the frame and the glass is an opportunity for heat to escape. Recently, it has become very popular for people to convert their lofts into additional living space for example, a bedroom.
One of the things you will have to be wary about is your roof light. You need to ensure that it has maximum energy efficiency with insulated frames and triple glazing. The structure being entirely airtight and there are high levels of insulation will do so. These frames must be fitted with low-e glazing filled with argon or krypton to prevent heat transfer.
Additionally, you would want to make sure that the thermal comfort of the space is met during winter as well as summer. This can be achieved by post-heating and post-cooling fresh air through indoor air quality conditions. There also needs to be an adequate ventilation strategy in place with at least 75% of heat from the exhaust air being transferred to fresh air again by a heat exchanger.